A guide to housing association disrepair claims

If you’re wondering how much compensation are housing association disrepair claims worth? It’s important to note that every claim is different. In this guide, we’ll help you understand how claims are valued and how much you could be entitled to, so please read on to learn more.

If you are a council or Housing Association tenant and you feel the home you live in has fallen into disrepair causing you to develop an illness or suffer an injury, you could be entitled to file a housing association disrepair claim against the Housing Association landlord.

Housing Associations have a duty of care towards their tenants and there are laws that require them to maintain their properties to an acceptable standard. Should a Housing Association fail to repair any reported damage in a timely manner, they could put their tenants at risk of illness or injury. Therefore, if you live in a Housing Association property and feel that your landlord is not adhering to the law and you have suffered some form of damage or injury as a result, you could be entitled to compensation.

This type of claim can be complex to make, with Housing Associations being known to fight against many claims lodged against them. This is why many people choose to work with a personal injury solicitor to give their claim the best chance of success.

What Are Housing Associations?

Housing Associations offer low-cost accommodation much like local councils and they operate throughout the UK. Very often, the tenants are on low incomes or they require more in the way of support than other tenants. You can apply directly to a Housing Association or you can apply through a local council or local authorities, and it is perfectly okay to apply for a tenancy to several associations at any one time.

They are not-for-profit organisations and they rent properties whether it’s houses or flats throughout the country with an end goal being to provide tenants with low-cost accommodation. Housing Associations are run by volunteers who are elected by tenants and the committees of volunteers employ managers to run the properties.

The majority of Housing Associations are registered social landlords or RSLs although there are many kinds of organisations that offer various sorts of accommodation to all sorts of tenants.

Am I Eligible To Make A Housing Association Disrepair Claim?

You may primarily be wondering whether you have grounds to claim in the first place. Anyone who was injured or suffered ill health in the last 3 years (longer if children are injured) because of an accident caused by disrepair in a Housing Association property could be entitled to make a housing disrepair compensation claim against their landlords.

If your injury occurred through no fault of your own because the property was ill-maintained and the Housing Association landlords failed to put right a defect in an acceptable time-frame having been notified in writing of the problem, you may have a claim for compensation.

How much a personal injury claim is worth will depend on the type and seriousness of the injury and whether symptoms are long or short term.

We provide an initial, no-obligation consultation, free of charge, which allows you to ask questions and it provides us with the information needed to assess whether you have a strong case for compensation.

What Responsibilities Do Housing Associations Owe Tenants?

It is a legal obligation for Housing Association landlords to maintain their properties to an acceptable standard. The law clearly states that landlords are responsible for the following:

  • To ensure that boilers are serviced regularly and in good working order
  • To ensure that the plumbing, electrics and heating is kept in good working order
  • To ensure that walls, plasterwork and roofs are inspected and well maintained ensuring the property is watertight
  • To fix leaking pipes, mend guttering and any other apparent water problems
  • To put right damp and mould

Can I Sue For Poor Maintenance?

If you’re wondering ‘how much compensation are housing association disrepair claims worth?’, this may be because your property was poorly maintained. It is the responsibility of the Housing Association owners to maintain and carry out repairs when necessary on all their properties. This includes residences and all communal areas which are detailed below:

  • Stairwells
  • Reception areas
  • Hallways
  • Gardens
  • Car parks

The Defective Premises Act 1972 makes very clear that all landlords must maintain their properties which includes all communal areas. However, when the weather is extremely cold, the legislation is not that clear and as such clearing snow and ice from communal areas become a contentious problem.

Do you think you have a claim? (H2)

Our KLS team can guide you through your housing disrepair claim with confidence and ease. If you want to know more then you can find our website here.