We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf. We will also undertake the collecting and distributing of assets.
How much does this service cost?
We anticipate this will take between 9 and 18 hours work at £220.00 per hour
Legal costs estimated at between £2,200.00 - £4,000.00
Plus VAT at 20% (£440.00 - £800.00)
- Probate court fee of £215 (£0 if Estate is less than £5,000.00)
- Fee for swearing of the oath (per executor) £7.00
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2.00 per beneficiary) £2.00
- Post in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors £62.15 plus £12.43 VAT
- Post in a Local Newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims £185.00 plus £37.00 VAT
*Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements as part of the transaction.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
We will handle the full process for you. This example is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 4 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are between 1-4 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Included in our fee, we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
Potential additional costs:
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (unit trusts, gilts, stocks and bonds) there are likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost £0.50 each (1 per asset usually).
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 6-12 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 12-16 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 10-14 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 4-6 weeks.