A road traffic accident is a hugely stressful experience that we would not wish upon anyone. If you find yourself involved in an accident, it can be really difficult to know what to do as you will be feeling in shock.
It’s always a good idea to be prepared for these situations, as the steps you take in the immediate aftermath can have an impact on events following it, including reporting the incident to the relevant authorities, making a claim for compensation and even your physical and mental rehabilitation if required.
We’ve listed some tips below on what to do after an accident.
- Take as much information as you can from the other party. Try and take their name, address, contact number, email address and always the vehicle registration. This will help everyone involved in the claim deal with the matter a lot quicker and more efficiently.
- Take photos of all the cars involved and the damage sustained. This will again help the claim progress a lot quicker. If there are any disputes over liability or the amount being claimed, it always helps to have images from the scene to prove what happened or what damage was actually caused.
- Make a note of how many people were in the other car. It’s important for your insurers to be made aware of this in case any injury claims are made. It can also help prevent fraud.
- Take details of any witnesses. Witnesses can be vital in cases where liability is disputed, always take the details if anyone saw what happened. If you are a witness to a road traffic accident, it’s very helpful to stop and give your details.
- Report the claim to your insurance company as soon as you can. The sooner your insurers or legal representatives are aware of the incident, the sooner they can act and deal with your claim. A lot of people avoid doing it as they worry it will affect their premiums. However, not reporting the claim can very often result in higher costs, so it’s in your interest to make them aware as soon as you can.
- Trust the experts. Your insurer and legal representatives are there to help. At KLS Law, our staff are experienced and empathetic; we are here to help with any queries you may have.